Nursing as a career can be quite challenging and demanding at the same time. It will require a lot of passion, dedication, and hard work to excel in the field. Due to the nature of the job, students are made well aware of the responsibilities that will be required in the future, while pursuing the course. While some students live up to the expectations set by the school, others find it really difficult to live up to the pressure. This often leads to academic dismissal from the school. In such a scenario, it is wise to take the help of studentdisciplinedefense.com lawyers for nursing students.
When should a nursing student reach out to a lawyer?
Dismissals that occur due to no fault of the student: There are many instances where the student is not at fault but is still dismissed from the nursing school. Some of such scenarios are:-
- Poor academic performance due to extenuating circumstances like a family crisis, health issues, unexpected death of a family member, financial crises, etc.
- Poor academic performance due to some undiagnosed learning disabilities. Such students are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- False accusations of misconduct by the institute like discrimination in grades, incorrect evaluation by faculty, etc.
In the above scenarios, you should immediately reach out to a lawyer for a fair judgment.
Dismissals that can be resolved: Some grounds of dismissal like academic shortfalls and financial aid issues can be resolved smoothly without actually dismissing the nursing student. Academic shortfalls can be resolved through remediation, or by finding out the underlying cause. Even after this, if the school dismisses you, then you should immediately hire a lawyer who will ensure that you get a chance to produce a proper defense against this unfair judgment.
Financial Errors: Sometimes students are sent academic dismissal notices due to non-payment of tuition fees for a certain period of time. Such errors are not the fault of the student and can be due to errors in the processing of loans, scholarships, and other financial aid. In such cases, the nursing student should reach out to the lawyer.
Title IX law: If the nursing student suffers due to violation of the Title IX law i.e. harassment or exploitation of any form on the campus, they can ask a lawyer to be their advisor.
Academic dismissal can leave a bad impression on your transcript and other such places when you plan to do your further studies. A reputed lawyer will surely help resolve the problem between the nursing school and the student and avoid dismissal.
What are the consequences that dismissal from nursing school might have on your career?
Dismissal from a nursing school has a high potential of derailing the students’ career prospects. Though is not the end of the career, it can hamper mental strength and conjure up obstacles in the student’s career. Being someone who is facing dismissal you may find it insurmountable. Some of the consequences that one might face are:
- Enrollment issues: There are cases where the nursing student gets reinstated by applying for a dismissal. But some in instances you might not be considered for reapplying. The aforementioned scenarios are rare. The nursing schools are very selective and picky when it comes to admission standards. It can be a very tough gamut for a dismissed nursing student to convince another nursing school to enroll them.
- A break in the academic process: It is very lucky if you are granted another chance of enrolling. But you will have to lose all the hard work and success that you have accomplished previously as you will be starting afresh in the new nursing school. You will not be given a chance to start from where you left off.
- Red notation in the academic record: If you are dismissed from nursing school or any school, it will be recorded permanently in your academic record. This will have a negative effect on the employers you will be applying to as they might get reluctant to hire you.
- Financial loss: If you have taken a loan to pay for your studies at nursing school, dismissal can mean that you will be losing all the money you took. You are bound to pay the loan back whether you complete your nursing training or not.
How can an attorney help in such a situation?
You have the right to fight against the dismissal and advert it with the help of a lawyer for nursing students. You need to find an attorney advisor who has expertise in student disciplinary proceedings and common problems nursing students face. They can:
- Help you in finding the root issue behind the dismissal and help you find out ways to deal with the issue.
- Provide you with the best advice that will be fruitful for you to jerk off the allegations. They will do so by looking for evidence and finding a witness to support you.
- Provide assistance while you appeal and before the dismissal gets finalized.
- Ensure the fact that the school is abiding by its own policy or you are being victimized.
How judge a lawyer will be good for a nursing dismissal case?
You need to look for a few attributes in the lawyer you are going to hire to advocate for you. Ensure that the lawyer your talking to is a highly experienced one. Look for their field of expertise. There are an array of student disciplinary lawyers who helps students from different fields of study. Look for someone who is exclusively dealing with nursing dismissal cases. Client testimonials and reviews will help you understand the potential of the lawyer you are considering. You can go by referrals too, but ensure that the people referring you had a good outcome by hiring a lawyer. Also, look for someone who will be easily available and will prioritize you.
Make sure that you hire the best lawyer as it is the question of your livelihood and reputation.