Powder coating comes with various challenges. However, you can get rid of them by following some basic techniques. Many people aren’t aware of the same. That is why we are here to help you. In this article, we will provide all the pitfalls to avoid in powder coating.
Powder coating is used for metallic objects or surfaces to provide durability. Various companies consider this technique for coating different metal items. Unfortunately, they have to experience a few issues in the process. If you don’t want to face them, you can consider learning some effective techniques to do powder coating.
The purpose of powder coating is to improve the metal’s durability and keep it safe from rust. But that is only possible if you have done the same correctly. Therefore, it is necessary to gain knowledge about the common mistakes that people usually make.
Nowadays, you can also select a service provider to provide you with powder coating services. There are plenty of websites that offer powder coating Las Vegas. All you need to do is research the platforms well and decide. Reading reviews is a perfect way to get more insight into the quality of services.
You might be eager to learn all the tips for a successful powder coating. Let’s not waste any more time and dive into it.
What Are The Common Mistakes In Powder Coating? How To Resolve Them?
Powder coating is an easy technique, but there are a lot of mistakes that people make. It is essential to have a deep understanding of these pitfalls to achieve a successful powder coating. Here are some of the most common pitfalls and tips to avoid them-
- Contaminated surface: The surface of the metal object you will cover with powder coating should be clean enough. Sometimes, dust, particles, hair strands, and more can create problems in the final product. The only way to avoid this mistake is to clean the surface and do this technique in a clean space. You might see a lot of difference in the quality of the finish once you begin following this strategy.
Many tools and products are available in the market that efficiently clean objects or surfaces. The best part is that they are convenient, and anyone can do this without complications. But you need to purchase the right ones to prevent risks in the procedure.
- Uneven finish in the objects: If you want your final product to be perfect, you must know the thickness. The level of powder you are using on each part matters a lot. That is why you need to be extra careful when applying the coat. Otherwise, you might face problems regarding the uneven finish.
The uneven finish is another common problem because many people make this mistake. It usually happens with beginners who have never tried this before. You can prevent this pitfall by investing in the right equipment and devices that are genuinely made to provide an early finish on metal objects.
- No maintenance of the objects and equipment: The objects and equipment you want to finish with powder coating should be maintained. Some people often underestimate the importance of it and, therefore, the overall process gets failed. If you don’t want to put yourself in such a situation, you should follow this strategy.
Maintaining the equipment means looking for repairs and other things to resolve them quickly. If they stay long, you won’t even realize it. Ultimately, the process of powder coating won’t be successful. And you might have to look for other options. A brief inspection is necessary before covering any equipment. So, make sure to do the same to prevent various risks.
- Improper pre-treatment: Have you ever considered why pretreatment plays a significant role in powder coating? Well, you have to prepare the equipment for powder coating. Without doing this, you won’t get a well-finished final product after completing the procedure.
Many companies often end up making mistakes by not considering the pretreatment. But you should not forget about it if you want excellent results in one go.
Pretreatment is necessary to prep up the metal and surface of the objects or equipment. Also, make sure to use the right products for this step. Otherwise, you have to deal with severe problems and issues.
- Not checking the temperature: In powder coating, you should check the temperature of the area where you’re doing it. Temperature is another thing that can impact your powder coating. So, you need to do this procedure in a place with the right temperature.
There should not be extreme temperatures like hot, humid, cold, etc. Why? Because they might react with the chemicals and won’t provide you with a good finish. But you have the option to check the temperature and work accordingly. An average room temperature will be perfect for the same.
- Baking for a long time: Powder coating doesn’t work when you don’t take care of the baking period. If it exceeds the expected time, the coat will easily chirp off. As a result, the results will not be the same as you expected. To avoid this situation, you have to follow the instructions carefully regarding the baking of powder coating. It should have a specific time that you need to follow. Apart from that, the baking temperature also matters.
- Not enough ventilation: The powder coating process is only successful if there is enough ventilation. The equipment you have finished using this method might not get the finish it requires. There will be a lot of powder that might occur on the surface. Ultimately, the entire procedure will be a total failure.
You can choose a place where there are enough windows. So, once you have done the process, you can open them up and wait until you get the results.
The Bottom Line
Anyone can do powder coating with the proper steps and tips. Even though people make mistakes, there is always a way to eliminate them. We hope now you know what you need to do when things go wrong.